Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Arrival



On Sunday the 8th, I said goodbye to my family and friends in Minnesota and left home for the Minneapolis-Saint Paul airport.

For the entire week leading up to my departure, I focused a lot on how sad it would be - to leave everything and almost everyone I knew behind. And it was - but I was kind of disconnected from the fact that nothing's really ending permanently.

In fact, so much is only just beginning.


The 8 hour flight was my first ever airplane experience. I was pretty nervous, but it actually went very well. Aside from the fact that I didn't get much sleep and had very little leg room, I'd say it actually went pretty well. Even the food was good acceptable. At some point, as I was watching the plane slowly fly over the Atlantic on the small screen in front of me, it hit me that this was the farthest I had ever been from home. I had done it! I finally left!

We were greeted in London at Heathrow by fog and rain. We did just arrive in England, after all. After getting through customs and collecting our bags, we boarded a large coach bus that took us to our eventual destination: Worcester, England.



By the time I finally got to a bed and was able to sleep, about 18 hours had passed. At that point, it still felt like I had just left Minneapolis.

The next two days have been a whirlwind of activity, from registration to grocery shopping to walking many miles around Worcester. I don't start classes until the 23rd of September, and all the weekdays before that are filled with orientation activities. It will be nice to start class and get a routine, but I'm also kind of afraid that I won't like the classes ("modules"). I supposed this is just normal start-of-the-year anxiety!

Looking ahead, it seems like the possibilities are endless. The entire group has been dreaming big about trips around Europe and I can only hope that I will get to make the most of this long trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment